April 30, 2012

A Reality TV Reality.

I tend not to watch too much reality tv, as it is known to rot one's brain.  This year I have made a concerted effort to cut down on the shows that I get emotionally invested in. So now I just watch Celebrity Apprentice, The Voice, Wag Nation, Real Housewives of Whatever is on, Toddlers and Tiaras, The Rachel Zoe Project, It's A Brad Brad World, Khloe and Lamar and Ice loves Coco.


Oh and I am busting a gut to find out what is is like to be Lara Bingle! Imagine what it is like?


So I am not at all hooked on Reality TV.


My sons are obsessed with watching The Biggest Loser. At first I banned them from watching The Biggest Loser. I am not sure why really. But as the weeks went by,  I was worn down and it gave me a wonderfully peaceful hour each evening and hey, I figured they were learning a lot about number crunching. Just like an extra maths tutorial. I still do not know how to convert percentages, and my kids are all over that shiz now.


But I was unaware of how emotionally invested the small one was.


Until last night.


 I was in the shower as the Woogettes watched The Biggest Loser on the TV in my bedroom. I heard a ear-splitting scream,  following by guttering wails, unlike anything I had ever heard before. I rushed out,  all nuddy like,


Harry was standing with a stunned look on his face while Jack carried on like he had been bitten by a snake.


"Did you hit your brother?" I asked him.


He swore he did not touch Jack.


I grabbed a towel, lest either of them suggest I should go on that show, and went and comforted Jack.


After much calming down and cuddles, turns out that Jack was reacting to the news that contestant Bek had been booted from the show. Bek was his favourite as she had the prettiest hair.




I had not watched even one episode of The Biggest Loser, but I am now fully aware of it's impact on young brains. The journey. The Rollercoaster. And all that crap.  It had taken it's toll on my little boy and it took ages for me to explain that Bek was in a better place now, and could finally eat bread.

Do you watch Reality TV?
What's your poison?


Related Posts with Thumbnails