August 15, 2013

How to blog.

A few times a week I will get emails from people wanting to know about blogging. So I thought I would write a post about blogging and try to cover off as much as I can.

I work with an agency called The Remarkables who deal with the commercial aspects of this blog. There are a dozen or so Australian Bloggers within that group who are all very generous with their time and knowledge. I am the small fry there, the personal blogger with the (relatively) low stats compared to that lot. So, I asked them for some tips about blogging, starting a blog, growing a blog and all that stuff. And here is what they said.

  • Just do it.
  • Buy Louisa-Claire's E-Book. Best $8 investment you will ever make.
    Click here for more info
  • Be crystal clear on what your vision is.
  • Be prepared to work hard. There are no overnight success stories.
  • Be clear on your goals and know exactly why you want to blog.
  • Write what you love.
  • Know your audience and write like you would talk to them over a coffee.
  • Get a comfy chair.
  • Drink red wine.
  • Work out why you want to blog. Is it for income or for personal record keeping?
  • Don't take it all too seriously.
  • I still don't know what I am doing.
  • No one is reading at the start so don't over think it.*
  • Use this time that no-one is reading to write and write and write and develop your voice.
  • Blogging is a marathon, not a sprint.
  • Take regular breaks.
  • Balance your real life and your blog life.
And a few from me!


  • Get on board with ProBlogger for inspiration and know-how. The man is one of the most generous beings in the business.
  • Don't be afraid to make a complete dick of yourself. I still cringe at some of my early posts... like this one...
*What DaFUQ!
  • Read and comment on other blogs that you love.
  • If you are a personal/parenting blogger, join Digital Parents, a forum that is really supportive and can answer any questions you have.
  • Grow a thick skin and cover it in oil. Not everyone is going to like you, and be cool with that.
  • There are some VERY fancy blog hosting options, but there is nothing wrong with a good old fashioned Blogger Blog. I SAID THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT. Plus technology scares me...
  • Set up a blog roll where you can pop your favourite reads. Link to other bloggers and be generous within the community.
  • Set up a comment policy and stick to it. I have no haters on my site. 
  • Everything has a story attached to it. Find the story. Tell it.
  • Are you an expert in the mating habits of turtles? Start a blog about it. People out there who are also interested in the mating habits of turtles will appreciate you.
  • Don't be afraid to experiment with different text types. Recounts, descriptive, narrative, expository and argumentative. They will help you develop your writing.
  • Don't try to be like another blogger. You are all you need.
  • The internet is never-ending and there is space for you.
  • Content is king. Build it and they will come. Or not. Set it to private if you want. It is your space and you can decide/change your mind as you see fit.
  • Celebrate other bloggers success and achievements.
  • Do not to compare yourself to others.....
And remember why you started blogging in the first place.

Right-o! I hope that has answered some of your questions. I would LOVE to hear your tips about blogging, where you are with your blog, why you blog and anything else I may have missed.

Please feel free to leave a link in the comments with your blog url and what you write about.

And any other questions you have?
FIRE AWAY BABY.


Related Posts with Thumbnails