April 16, 2012

The Show.




Each year I vow I will not go to the Royal Easter Show. The crowds, the noise, the denim underpants on display, the grease, the show bags, the heat! But every year I end up there. It is like the end of season Country Road Sale. I know I do not need to go,  but I am terrified of missing out on something.

I always make a bee-line for the dogs. I find the whole culture fascinating.

Drools. Needs a bib.

This dog was lucky I was not in this category. I would have had it in the bag.

Did somebody say High Maintenance?

The original blow dry bar stemmed from here.



I make no apologies for being a bit of a talker, it embarrasses my kids no end! I started chatting to this mid-fifties dude who was in the marshaling years with his shit-zhu, waiting to compete in one of the initial Best In Show titles. I asked him a million questions,  which he was all too happy to answer.  This man had been showing shit-zhus for 20 years and well, didn't he just LOVE his shit-zhhus. I was not surprised to learn he was a hairdresser by trade.

I asked him about the culture of dog showing people.  He told me that the environment was excellent and supportive,  until you reached the top and then it was totally hideous with back stabbing and rumours spread and whispers of sabotage.

Sounds just like real life to me.

FYI - The overall Best in Show title was taken out by a ...... BEAGLE! Fucking awesome! No blow-dry required.

We walked in the heat and the crowds, ate a little bit of show "food" but kept that to a minimum till after we had gone on the rides. Learning from experience here people!

I was mainly interested in speaking to some carnival workers. The transient group that travels from town to town with a micro-phone and a dead look behind their eyes.

Not Sue

I found my girl. She was about 50 and was in charge of a pond full of ducks. The aim of the game was to get a long pole and select a duck. If you got one that was labelled underneath "DONALD" you got to choose a big prize from the small selection of really dusty soft toys. I handed over my coupons, selected a non DONALD duck and asked if I could ask her some questions.

She was super friendly.  She had been with the show for 15 years. Her name was Sue.

Sue told me that she spends most of the year standing next to the duck pond. She packs it up after each show, jumps in her caravan and travels to the next. Next stop for her is Kempsey Show.  The whole of side-show alley is run by 3 families.  I can see them watching the going-ons on CCTV from their manors. The workers, when not at a show, live up near the Central Coast in accommodation provided for them.

Sue told me how much she missed her family. By the way she talked,  I assumed they were estranged. She had no teeth as evidenced by the way her lips hugged her gums as she spoke. She was short, squat and very smiley. She had to be. Her duck game was not popular, so she needed to draw people to her with her smile and her micro-phone.

I thanked her for her time and asked her to give me a clue as to picking Donald, you know, for next year. She winked and told me to pick the yellow one.

They were all yellow.

My time and tolerance for the show was coming to a rapid close. We hit the show bags so the boys could spend their Birthday money that Sawhole gave them on a bag of complete tatt. Jack took 7 seconds to buy the My Little Pony bag and Harry took FOREVER to pick anything. I also treated myself. The Bertie Beetle bag never goes out of style!




Our family attended the Royal Easter Show as guests of Samsung.
Samsung have just launched their new tablet/phone/whizbang device called the Galaxy Note.

For more information about the Samsung Galaxy Note click here.

To win your own Galaxy Note, worth $800,  please leave a comment about this post, or shows in general or beagles. I will announce the winner, drawn randomly, on Friday 20th April. Australian Residents only. If you Tweet or Facebook this giveaway, come back and leave an additional comment with the link for a bonus entry. Do it twice if you do both!





Related Posts with Thumbnails