January 14, 2012

The one that I forgot......

Did you ever see Home Alone? You know the movie where the family all rush out the door and leave Kevin to his own devices for a bit?

Well that was like me just before I rushed off on my bloggy break. I left Mandy home alone. But now she is here. Make her feel welcome won't you?



Birthdays, I hate them! Sad, I know, but very true.

I only hate my own. I love to celebrate my children’s birthdays, and hubby’s.

So why not mine?

Because it was last week, the first week of January, that’s why!

A number of reasons really, but firstly I am scarred. Having a birthday in the first week of January Sucks Big Time.

It’s pretty well been non-existent my whole life.

You know the saga, kids never around in the school holidays.

Then when I was in my early 20’s everyone was all like, “I’m so broke after Christmas” or “I’m so broke after New Year’s” or “I’m still hung over I better have a weekend off”

And to them I give them the one finger salute as I choke on my own bottle of wine.

Secondly, to add insult to the pain, I went and gave birth to my daughter 2 days after my birthday.

Now it’s seriously non-existent.

My birthday is saturated with little girl birthday preparations.

But never fear, there is still usually time for wine, whine (or both)

Let me share a little story:

I had a pregnancy that didn’t work out, and was so desperate to fall pregnant again. Six months in, a bit of an emotional psycho and it was almost March. I made the decision despite my desperation to go back on the pill for a month because, I did not want to inflict this birthday pain / curse on my future child.

As soon as I came off the pill, Bingo! Pregnant! Hallelujah to that. Baby’s impending arrival – February 5th 2006.

And what happened, she arrived a month early. Seriously, is this the powers to be trying to teach me a lesson, or just trying to beat the control freak out of me!

And furthermore due to other complications I sat in hospital for six weeks before her arrival, so yes, I did sit in hospital bored out of my freaking brain on my birthday.

Hold onto your seat, it gets worse; this lovely day sitting in a hospital room on my own was on my 30th Birthday. Very very sad state of affairs.

-x-

There was a time when I tried to invent ways to create good birthday vibes they included:

When I was younger I told my mum I wanted to celebrate my birthday on its ½ year. E.g. 30 & a ½. Get the drift. She was non-cooperative.

My brother always used to whinge that his birthday was the last in the family to be celebrated. Here I am whinging that mine is the first. So I wanted to swap. He was keen as mustard, but again mum, she was non-cooperative.

You’d think that because I’m all grown up now, that I’d have gotten over myself. No, not really.

Some years I’m OK with it all, I suck it up, go ‘Hurrah to me’ and keep moving. Other years I walk around in a crap mood all day, wondering why I even got out of bed.

This year was not too bad, I got to go on a play date with the kinder mums to the park, and one mum even baked me a cake. No wine! And then I got to tend to the usual mundane chores that did not get the birthday memo.

Do you love to celebrate your birthday?
What do you do to make it a happy experience?


A wife and mother to three, Mandy is what some would say a ‘control freak’ but she would say ‘organised’.

A pathological photo taker, she captures the day to day events of her family and shares her families stories, along with tips and advice on organizing, crafting and fun with kids at A Little Space Like Home.


Twitter: Miss_Mandy76


Related Posts with Thumbnails