September 22, 2013

A Polarising Dish.

Growing up, there was one dish that my Mum used to make weekly that was greeted with rapturous applause. Being a single, working Mum with no time, this dish was trotted out frequently as it was cheap, fast and simple.

Even my sister Mrs Ryan, a vegetarian since the age of 6, could not resist it's fishy goodness.

Last night I made the dish for the boys, and it always goes down a treat. I took a photo and whacked it up on the Facebook page, and I was not at all prepared for the comments and divisional nature that it bought.


Tuna Mornay
Now the thing that I like about Tuna Mornay is that all the ingredients can be bought from the service station at 5pm on a Saturday Night when most people are planning elaborate dinners bought from organic markets that they have visited in the morning.

Clearly, I am not one of those people. I had taken my monkeys to the zoo and was not in the correct mindset to prepare anything fancy.

Looking at that photo, I kind of get the revulsion. I mean it is cheese sauce with a tin of tuna, a tin of corn and some rice. It is less about cooking and more about stirring. 

Michelle Bridges would pitch a bitch fit if she was served this, I am sure. And I cannot even imagine what Pete Evans would do.

Tuna Mornay CAN BE FANCY! Click here for Julie Goodwin's version.

But there is something comforting about eating a dish that has such a deep family history ingrained. You stir the whole thing up like it is some sort of risotto, and a big squeeze of lemon and a shit load of black pepper and gobble it up in front of the news.

And to those who sneered at my carby, fishy, cheesy dinner.... OH FOR SHAME! *waggles finger*

Tuna Mornay.... Are you a fan?
What is your secret revolting but comforting childhood dish?

And do you have a mornay making tip?


Related Posts with Thumbnails