February 10, 2011

Viva La Difference!

I got halfway to school yesterday when I realised I had forgotten to put Jack's hearing aids on. So I chucked a uey and headed back home.

Jack was in the back objecting, saying he could hear fine and did not need them. I let him know that this was an non negotiable issue.

He then went on to say he was sick of everyone asking him "What is that in your ear?" and it was giving him a headache. (Everything gives him a headache, including vegetables).

Then Harry looked up from his Where's Wally book and said to Jack that next time someone asked about his hearing aids, just pretend you cannot hear them. Which I thought was kind of cool.



I got this wonderful message from a reader in Qatar (of all places!)


need to say a big thank you for posting that picture of Jack @ graduation. Little Henry came home yesterday from preschool, upset after a trip to the Library, he wanted to choose the fairy book but backed out thinking "everyone will laugh and say you like girls stuff" so I click on your blog, showed him Jack at school and how he didn't care what people thought, Henry LOVED it! going back for fairy book today .

Thanks Kirsty, it has made my day x



This wonderful new children's book was sent to me by the cool folk at Harper Collins. UK-based Australian author and illustrator David Mackintosh delightfully details the beauty that can be found in difference.


He looks different to me.
His laces are straight, not criss-crossed like mine,
And his eyes are always looking at the blackboard.
Marshall Armstrong doesn’t fit into our school.

I love love love this book. It is about accepting people for who they are and discovering that difference is a wonderful thing. I read it to the Woogettes and had a really nice conversation with them about it before they had a fight over who was going to read it next. If you are a parent, a grandparent or a teacher, check this book out. It is a wonderful springboard for celebrating diversity.

And of course I have 3 copies to giveaway. Simply leave a comment on this post and my good friend Randy will randomly select 3 winners on Friday 18th Feb.

Or you can order it here.

This post contains no swear words. For a change.

Related Posts with Thumbnails