September 24, 2013

Does the sisterhood really exist?


This week I have handed over editorial content ideas to the wonderful WoogsWorld Facebook page. They really are the nicest bunch of chicks you could ever meet. And there are a few fellas as well. You can join the Facebook community here.

But let's get on with the show!



This caught my eye as I have, from time to time, met women who declare that they prefer the company of men over women. This always puzzles me so much and I feel bad that they are missing out on one of the greatest gifts of all time.

Membership to the sisterhood.

Me? I am a chick's chick. Oh don't get me wrong, I love men, but there is something so comforting about belonging to a tribe of supportive, nurturing women that you just cannot beat.

My tribe includes my family, make up mainly of bolshy, smart chicks, my friends, some of whom I have known since Jesus played halfback for Nazareth, and the most extraordinarily amazing collection of women I have got to know online.

Doesn't that sound smug! Well it is the truth.

I also marvel at how my own personal sisterhood has grown, expanding over generations to include young whippersnappers and lovely ladies in their 70's.

Does the sisterhood really exist?

It does if you allow it. To be a part of the sisterhood, wherever you are, I prescribe a recipe of kindness, availability, laughter, silliness, openness and empathy.

Which brings us to the concept of being judgemental.

Oh, I know all about being judgemental. I spent a great deal of time in that orb of discontent. The thing about this "habit" (and believe me, it is a habit and you can break it) is that it does nobody any good at all. After all, you do not know the anybodies back story, why they do the things they do. And what qualifies you to cast dispersions anyway?

It is a total waste of energy and time. 

Judgement is the natural enemy of the sisterhood. As is envy, jealousy, grudge-holding and spite.

Women are not perfect, and the sisterhood is not perfect, but as the wise Ms Albright so famously put it....

“There is a special place in hell for women who don't help other women."

Do you believe in the Sisterhood?
How does your own Hood look like?


Related Posts with Thumbnails