May 16, 2012

Freakin Remarkable!





I have been writing since I could pick up a crayon. I have been blogging for two and a half years. It is a cathartic release for me, a habit. A bit like picking your toe nails but far more satisfying.

I tend to write anecdotally. I think everything is a story. I walk around writing in my head all day. Some days this can be a total pain in the ass. Except one day last week when I had writers block. My brain enjoyed some time out. I wondered how long it would last, but it left the next day.

I was taking my kids for a haircut a few weeks ago, when this lady came up to me and told me how much she liked my blog. A completely lovely stranger who spoke to me as if she knew me. Because she does I suppose. It is a really bizarre feeling having a conversation with someone like this. I immediately apologized for some strange reason. Like I should be embarrassed or ashamed for putting my stories out into the universe.

When I write, I never think that someone is actually going to read it. I do not like writing self-consciously. It makes me itchy. I like real.

I think there comes a time in your life when you have to back yourself. I told Mr. Woog this when he started his own business 6 years ago. In order to do something new, you need balls, luck and someone watching your back.

I have someone in this universe that is backing me. My new agent Lorraine Murphy, founder of The Remarkables Group.  She has taken over commercial dealings when it comes to WoogsWorld. Because I have proved time and time again that I am completely inept at monetizing this space and she is a complete whizz when it comes to brands and blogging and how the two can work together in total harmony, then run off to Bali to get married on a beach.

Last year I was at the airport heading to a Blogging Conference in California. I wrote BLOGGER on my exit forms under occupation. The man at customs asked what that meant. I was with Eden. We laughed together and told him that it meant that we were two bored housewives that wrote about stuff on the Internet.

He crossed out BLOGGER and wrote HOUSEWIFE.

This year I am going to write BLOGGER again and insist upon it staying.

Because at the age of 38, fate has led to me to a new career. One that I actually adore. I adore the community I have accidently created. 

And you are in it.

I am handing the business end of my blog over to The Remarkables Group so I can free up my time to keep walking around, writing stories in my head.

I hope you keep walking with me.

Walking with BabyMac and the rug rats.

Related Posts with Thumbnails